Eliminate the drudgery of pruning computer files by following these simple steps!
Even though they don’t take up physical space, computer files can quickly eat up your hard drive. Not only is it key to clear things off your computer so you have space for new things, but more space on your computer also helps your computer run faster and more efficiently.
Going through file after file after file on your computer can quickly feel like drudgery, but the good news is there are actually several ways to prune your computer files that are expedient and easy.
- Get rid of large files. Use your computer’s built-in search or sort tools to look for files that are over a certain size (say, 5 megabytes). By focusing on large files only, you can free up a lot of space quickly.
- Delete old versions of files. Oftentimes we keep multiple drafts of the same document on the computer. If you’re only using the most current version and have no reason to archive the older drafts, get rid of the old files.
- Edit your photos. In the age of digital photography, people are taking—and storing—more photos than they ever have before. Even if a photo isn’t particularly good or flattering, it often gets uploaded from the camera to the computer, where it eats up precious memory. Choose which photos you want to preserve for posterity before you import them to your computer.
- Remove duplicate files. You might not even realize that you have the exact same files stored in several places. That is just wasted space. Removing redundant files can instantly save you many gigabytes and potentially many, many more. There are tools for both Macintosh and Windows that can help you look for duplicate files.
- Archive. Just because you don’t want to delete certain files doesn’t mean you can’t still remove them from your hard drive. If there are things on your computer that are taking up space that you aren’t using, such as photos or videos or files related to completed business projects, archive them onto an external hard drive, CD, DVD, or backup flash drive.
If you’re wondering how to implement these strategies, we’d be happy to chat with you. Contact us for a complimentary strategy session by going to http://www.CustomLivingSolutions.com/Apply
And if you’d like latest tips and advice on productivity and organizing delivered right to your inbox, enter your email address below to subscribe. It’s FREE!